CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 28, 2007

The Outdoor Industry Hates Fat People

I went to REI today to pick up a new water bottle. My hooded raincoat finally gave up the ghost after 4-5 years, so I thought I'd poke around and see what I could find. I knew there wouldn't be too much in my price range, but REI's usually at least worth a look.

Not one plus-sized windbreaker-type coat to be found (I didn't look at every coat in the place, so I can't say there weren't any in the whole store). There were 2 that came in size XL, but they were too generously cut through the shoulders yet I couldn't comfortably zip them up. Now, I'm not that fat and it really felt shitty to not be able to zip up a coat without holding my stomach in. I have other very cute coats that fit very well and look great, but I do like to do outdoorsy stuff and I can't wear a faux leather fuzzy leopard lined coat that doesn't have a hood while I dash around in the rain (or to the bathroom in the morning while camping). I live in Oregon and this time of the year it can rain every day for a week or more - umbrellas aren't very useful going from the car to the grocery store. I want a damn raincoat!

Yes, I could buy a coat in the men's department. I've done it before. But I'm also short, so they come down almost to my knees, the arms are too long and the shoulders are usually too broad. Why should I have to, anyway? Why can't I buy something that fits in the women's section? You can't make something that fits a fat girl by simply increasing the proportions. Often our proportions are different (Old Navy, are you listening?). I realize it isn't possible to buy something off the rack that fits perfectly, but a little more thought could go into the stuff.

Hiking and camping is still apparently the domain of skinny people.

6 comments:

Betsy said...

I am about 20 lbs overweight and I where a LARGE in REI tops. Crazy.

My raincoat is a Lands End one that was on sale at Sears.

crazybitch said...

Lands End is probably my next stop (or LL Bean). I'm not sure how the clothing industry decides what the default sizes and shapes are. . .

Tobes said...

I'm glad you left in this 'promotion sunday' at feminitse. It was a great post! That shit pisses me off too.

~tobestalks.blogspot.com

crazybitch said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. :/

Bianca Reagan said...

I like Lands End too! I have the same problem at Old Navy with the too long arms from the shirts in the Men's section. I like my large men's t-shirt, but the long-sleeved ones have looong arms.

crazybitch said...

Yeah, being short, I can pretty much make a straightjacket out of the long-sleeved shirts!

Zoiks, I hope that isn't the point. . .